About Amelia Earhart Elementary

Amelia Earhart Elementary opened in May 1963. Amelia Earhart Elementary School was built in 1963 on 10.59 acres of land in the city ofHialeah. It includes one main building, one annex building and six portables. The school was named after Amelia Earhart, an American aviation pioneer and author. Earhart was the first aviatrix to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. She received the U.S. Distinguished Flying Cross for this record. She set many other records, wrote best-selling books about her flying experiences and was instrumental in theformation of the Ninety-Nines, an organization for female pilots. Just east of the location of the school, then the Miami Municipal Airport, Amelia Earhart began her World-Wide circling flight dawn, June 1, 1937, in the twin engine Electra. The plane vanished 32 days later over the Pacific Ocean 4,210 miles short of the U.S. mainland. This location, erected on October 26, 1947 was the original memorial site forAmelia Earhart. In 1963, Miami-Dade County School Board used these facts as the rationale for naming the school after the pioneer female

5987 E. 7th Avenue, Hialeah, Florida 33013 Ph: (305) 688-9619

Fax: (305) 769-9038

 

Follow us on Twitter @AmeliaEarhartEl

 

Ms. Perla  Tabares Hantman

School Board Member

District 4